A big hey-yo to all reading this post! I think the title to this post should give you a big idea about what I’m writing today. This blog post isn’t beauty or fashion related, but rather an attempt to just practice an act of gratitude.
Gratitude- for what? The joy I experience out of the many things I’ve received and experienced so far in all of my 23 years of existence. Of late, I have been seeking happiness in material things, i.e, buying them. Well, I do experience some temporary glee but it doesn’t stay as long as I would like it to.
I want to break out of the rut I’m in, and I’m talking about my mental rut here. And what better way to do that than recount the highs in life and be grateful? 🙂 So, here I am- listing some moments and even objects that give me lasting happiness.
- Going to sleep and waking up next to him every night and morning, feeling his sugary warmth envelop me in safety and comfort.
- Sipping a hot cuppa coffee or tea when I wake up in the morning, and feeling that hot beverage warm my insides.
- Stepping outside on a warm summer day, and feeling the sunshine pour over me.
- Taking a random stroll on the streets, and looking at life pass me by in the form of people doing their own thing.
- When I get better at something I have been working at for a while. For me, this has been two things- cooking and working out. I have my off-days, but I know that it won’t last forever.
- Feeling a soreness the morning after a great workout the previous day. It might hurt to sit down and even move around, but there is something I find pleasurable in that pain.
- Biting into a juicy strawberry and feeling the tangy sweetness encircling my tongue.
- When I put quite a bit of thought and effort into cooking a dish, and it turns out lip-smacking.
- I find pleasure in eating 2 boiled eggs or 1 slice bread with butter/1 slice cheese for breakfast, because they taste so satisfying and rich without overloading on fat.
- Eating dessert after dinner, every single day. I especially love pulling apart wafers and eating each slice bit by bit. I also nibble on chocolates and finish them, not popping a full one in my mouth. (Oh, the sacrilege! :P)
- Cake. Milk chocolates. Cheez-its. Parle-G biscuits. Need I say more? 😀
- Taking a hot shower, and feeling like the water is melting away all my worries.
- Listening to great music while working on something. I feel like it adds some lightness to a task, as if chores can be simplified with just some rhythm thrown into the mix.
- Reading a book or magazine in bed and snacking (sometimes), with the soft pillows and mattress cushioning me.
- Going out with him, whether it is just to buy groceries or a relaxed day out. With my playlist belting out our favorite songs in the car, we chatter or don’t sometimes. Then and there, it feels so agreeable.
- Laughing my heart out. Whether it is a movie or even conversation, the feeling I get after laughing leaves me feeling flushed with happiness.
- I simply love dressing up and choosing a nice outfit to wear. And the confidence I get when I do so, is best expressed with the word “yaaaaas girl, werk it”! My self-esteem shoots up, and I feel like I can seize the day.
- Rediscovering pieces in my wardrobe that flatter my figure and look great, no matter whether they are in trend or not.
- Putting on make-up is calming for me, and I feel like I’m in my own zone. I feel like a princess, when enhancing my features with eyeliner, mascara and bronzer. And this goes especially when I put on lipstick, ’cause I feel so put-together and purposeful. 😀
- Wearing shorts on a hot day out, and baring my legs to the golden ball in the sky.
- Looking at dogs IRL, going for a walk outside with their owners. You might wonder, what’s the big deal in that? But the sight of the wagging tail and tongue, is enough to make me go squeeeeee.
- Watching episodes of a random TV show, and watching it snowball into one of my favorite series’. Examples- The 100 on Netflix, that has quickly become one of my ‘ride or die’ TV shows.
- This is a rather personal one for me. Individuals like me, who have moved out of their home countries to a foreign nation, will relate to this. I recently made a friend here, and I’m grateful for her company. Having a friend in a place you know little of can be comforting, like I don’t feel alone all that much.
- A good book that has me flipping pages rapidly, hungry to know more. I like two kinds of books- a gripping novel that keeps me on the edge of my seat, and stories that move something in me emotionally.
- I remember feeling immense joy when my husband got me a book I had been searching hard for in India, but could not find at all. It is a book well loved by me during my college times, titled “The Inner Courtyard”. Oh man, I cannot forget that feeling of holding a book I had been longing for and actually cradling it in my palm. 🙂
- Talking to my family on long-distance Skype calls makes me miss and yearn for them. But it also feels good to be able to connect even if we’re half a world apart.
- Going through photographs from my marriage album makes me smile without fail. I can’t express how good it feels to recollect those beautiful moments and play them in my head.
- And lastly, this picture from our long weekend with friends at Clallam Bay is like a high for me. This is one of the most cherished moments I’ve ever experienced, its essence captured in this photograph. For that, I’m eternally happy.
If you’ve made it to the end of post, I have to thank you for actually taking time to read what I had to say! A lot of things I wrote were repetitive, but hey, they do spark joy even so. 🙂
What gives you lasting happiness and what are some things you feel grateful for? I would really like to know your thoughts. 😀
Peace out, until my next blog post comes along and stirs things up.